10 inappropriate reasons for hard shoulder stops – Fleetpoint News
By Neil Thomason
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 – 15:12
Some people seem to forget that it is illegal to stop on a hard shoulder if there is no emergency.
Some people also seem to forget that when a red X is displayed over any lane it means, quite simply, don’t drive on it!
With all that said, figures released by theHighway’s Agency show that between July and September last year, 2,062 drivers stopped on the hard shoulder of the motorway for a variety of frequently daft reasons.
Below you’ll find 10 of the most inappropriate reasons the Highway’s Agency’s traffic officers were given:
- One motorist pulled over because they saw ‘fire’ on their dashboard display… which it turned out was the name of the Adele track they were listening to.
- One motorist parked up and fell asleep on the M6.
- People stopping to read a map or check their sat-navs.
- Traffic officers found two cars stopped on the hard shoulder – the owners were half way through the selling and buying process for one of the cars.
- One driver realised their car insurance policy was up for renewal – they were ringing around for quotes to renew.
- A group of motorcyclists parked on the hard shoulder on the M1 to review their route and quench their thirst.
- A taxi driver was waiting on the hard shoulder around Heathrow airport for their client’s flight to arrive.
- A mobile phone operator, stopping at regular intervals in their private car carrying out signal tests on the hard shoulder.
- A driver who stopped to pick flowers.
- “Have you broken down Sir?”
“No,” came the reply, “we are taking pictures of our new born grandchild in our open top sports car as it is a lovely day…”
Have you got any funny or inappropriate reasons you’ve heard for people stopping on the hard shoulder? Let us know in the comments below